Monday, January 26, 2009

My heart goes pitter-pat for vintage

My love affair with vintage started many years ago when I was just a wee little middle schooler. I would sit up late and drink coffee and watch old movies on AMC with my grandma. Those movies with such stars as Greta Garbo, Bettie Grable, and Shirley Maclaine opened my eyes to a world of glitz and glamour and gorgeous wardrobes. "If only movies were still made that way." I would tell my grandma.

At the ripe old age of fourteen I began to stun my small town with my vintage frocks. Or perhaps annoy them. Either way my old soul trapped in a young body felt more at home in the garb of yesteryear and it fit well with my eclectic taste. Being a self proclaimed punk I enjoyed blazing my own trail and rocking to my own beat and looking fab while I did it. The thrill of the hunt added to the adventure and appeal of being in control of my own style. Spending hours hunting the thrift store racks for that coveted offbeat dress or shirt. In fact, I still can be found buried in the racks at some of my fav vintage haunts looking for the perfect piece.


My love of vintage helped propel me to open an online store to share the love. I decided to make my home on etsy and have now been selling my vintage goodies for over a year now. Of course I still collect and wear them myself. I don't see myself as a buyer of vintage but as a loving adoptive mother who is ensuring that they find new and wonderful homes where they will be appreciated, instead of being lost somewhere languishing on a rack.

Some of my favorite styles are Gunne Sax dresses where you can't help but feel like a lustful heroine in a romance novel. I am also a sucker for loud and crazy prints of the 60s and 70s. The crazier the better. If you have questions or need help identifying a vintage piece you can email me. I will do my best to help you out.

You can also peruse my shop for some quality vintage pieces.

Until next time, darlings.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: standardSmall